Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Weekend miscellany


Himself (Little Whale of course), ensconced very happily on our bed this morning.  Fortunately he hadn't been out so didn't have muddy paws (it has been raining for the past couple of days, just what the garden needed).
 

Drat - cannot think of the name of this so will have to check it out later. Update: It is Acaea simple (Atropurpurea) "Brunette". Must write that on a label for it now. Anyway, it doesn't need a moist spot as original advice on line said and is happy enough in this planter.


One of two Japanese anemones I bought recently - this one has made it to a pot. They were only £3.99 each at Aldi and I wish I'd bought more now.


This weekend's reading.  I love the photography in this magazine and there are always interesting articles and recipes of the sort I would make.


For several years this little Gwili pottery lamp has been my bedside lamp.  Now it's migrated downstairs and I can see to make a cup of tea in the mornings.


In its place upstairs is this lamp, which is a nod to a g.g. aunty of mine who was the schoolmistress in Widecombe in the 1860s or 70s.  I think she was my g.g. aunt - I need to check out that branch of the family tree again.  We had to replace the fitting for the bulb and I took the old trim off the shade and put a fresh one on, but it gives a better and taller light to read by.  I know it's not many people's taste but I am old-fashioned and sentimental when it comes to anything Devon . . .  Hence the plate below, which cost me all of £1 on Sunday at the Antiques Fair/Fleamarket.  When I turned it over and saw the Bovey Pottery stamp on the back, tears pricked my eyes - dad grew up in Bovey Tracey and there is a long family connection to Hennock, up the hill from Bovey. (It's pronounced "Buvvy" by the way, and not "Bovey" as in bovine.)





Tam has sensible and healthy breakfasts - this is a veggie hash and Free Range egg. She and her boyfriend are at a wedding in Morecombe this weekend and having a little autumn break.  I am envious, but I have got my Birthday Outing booked (FINALLY - it was my birthday in April!, during Lockdown).  Keith and I are off to Plas Newydd, near Llangollen, famous for its "Ladies of Llangollen".  Can't wait.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar